Monday 14 July 2014

Half Marathon Mission


As of late I have embarked on a mission to train for a Half Marathon – The Great North Run. This is 13.1 miles across Newcastle and the region of Tyne & Wear, also appealing as my Grandma lives five minutes from the finish line! Running long distance marathons is something I have always wanted to get involved in, and I am finally taking that step to pursue my goals.

I find running to be extremely therapeutic and rewarding, not to mention it is also cost free! So if you are on a budget, or looking to save some money in order to buy that designer handbag/car/holiday/house deposit, then taking exercise for free is something that you really should consider!

It is not for the faint hearted though. It is proving to be a massive mind over matter challenge. I have to train a lot at night to fit around my work schedule, when sometimes I’d much rather curl up on the sofa with a glass of wine and good food I have to get out there and train! I believe that the body gives up a long time before the mind does when you push yourself beyond what you would normally do for exercise. I was told once, by a friend of mine who is a South African rugby player, that when your body wants to pack in, you can actually do what you have already done, ten times over. So I am definitely learning more about persevering through the comfort zone at the moment – quite possibly an amazing lesson I will carry with me for the rest of life.



I am going to post more articles as my training progresses, sharing experiences, and also diet and nutrition tips that help me along the way. However I am mainly fascinated by the minds ability to push the body beyond what is comfortable, the ability to persevere through pain, and to achieve great things. I believe that the mind is a powerful tool and I will be looking at how the marathon training can help build skills that can transfer into all areas of life and pursuing goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment